Whether watching a movie, reading a magazine, or looking at a billboard, we are inundated with images of a perfectly white smile. As we age, tooth discoloration is a common and very real issue that adults must face. There seems to be a direct correlation between color and confidence: the more discolored our teeth are, the more our self-confidence wanes. There’s no need to be embarrassed but there’s a definite need to find the cause of your problem. Dr. Franklin and his team are here to help you identify the cause of your teeth discoloration and provide healthy cosmetic solutions to bring your smile back to its brightest.
There are several different causes of teeth discoloration. While some can be controlled, others cannot.
- Genetics. Your genes may predispose you to thinner enamel or discolored teeth.
- Medical Conditions. Conditions like dentinogenesis develop enamel improperly leading to discoloration.
- Medications. When taken as a child, antibiotics like doxycycline or tetracycline may discolor teeth. As adults, antihistamines, antipsychotics, and medications for high blood pressure may also discolor teeth. If you are concerned about medication you have been prescribed, contact Dr. Franklin and his knowledgeable staff for more information. Do not stop taking any medication without the direction of your doctor.
- Diet. Certain foods and beverages can discolor teeth. The routine consumption of wine, coffee, or tea is the most common culprit. Apples and potatoes also commonly discolor teeth.
- Tobacco. Whether you smoke or chew it, tobacco is widely known to turn teeth yellow and even brown.
Changing your daily routine is a great way to prevent discoloration. Making dietary changes and healthy lifestyle choices can keep your smile from discoloring. If you continue to drink beverages that leave stains, immediately rinse your mouth with water, or brush your teeth. Once Dr. Franklin and his team have discovered the cause of your teeth discoloration, we provide comprehensive cosmetic solutions to suit your individual needs. While there are many over-the-counter options such as whitening toothpastes and strips, professional whitening yields the most dramatic effects. Dr. Franklin may also provide bonding or veneers to further enhance the look of your smile.
Don’t let the color of your teeth affect your confidence. Contact Dr. Franklin and his team to enhance the look and strength of your smile. Schedule your appointment today.